Friday, July 30, 2010

July 27

Plan: I had nothing planned and I should have met someone before a came to work, but I didn't. So then I was stuck in the building until 9:00 PM. I realized I would have to meet someone here at work, which I didn't really want to do, but since I hadn't done anything the day before, it was necessary.

Who I met: We have had this teen volunteer all summer named Haohang. I've seen her, but never spoken to her and until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea how to pronounce her name (it sounds like ho hon). So I just asked her what grade she was going into and all about school. She's going to be a senior this year and she's very excited about it. I asked if she had done the Summer Reading Club-and for those of you who talk to me on a regular basis, you'll know this is all I've been thinking about for the last few weeks. She said she did and she loves to read. But then I took it a step further and asked her if she likes to write. She told me a sweet story about how when she was in grade school, she thought maybe she could be the next Dr. Seuss, and she tried to write a rhyming book. It didn't work out though; it turns out that rhyming is harder than it seems. The English teacher part of me wanted to learn more about what she likes to write now. She said mostly she enjoys writing for a class if there's a specific topic, but she loves doing speech and debate. She competes in oratorical contests and Lincoln-Douglas debates, which I could tell she was extremely passionate about, and it made me excited just listening! She doesn't like creative writing, which I can empathize with. But she likes creative non-fiction, which is my favorite genre to write. While we were chatting, a boy came over and asked me a question, then looked at her and said "You look like you're Chinese.", and she just smiled and said, "I am Chinese. Thank you." She was polite to him, and wasn't even phased by the question.

What I learned: One thing I realized was that Haohang had been here two days a week all summer, and I had never even talked to her because I felt awkward about it. I thought maybe she was shy because she was quiet, but she was only being quiet because I was! As soon as I asked her a question, she was an open book. You might think that with my middle school teaching background, I would be more inclined to strike up a conversation with her. But, no. I do fine with groups of students when I'm in charge, but just one is a little different, and I'm, well, a bit awkward.
I was so impressed with this young woman for remaining calm when openly confronted by racism. Unfortunately, the fact that she addressed it so casually implies that it happens to her frequently. What the hell is wrong with people? Are parents not teaching their children that it's rude and inappropriate to say something like that. Would someone ever just walk up to me and ask my race? No kid has ever said "You look like you're German." I'm embarrassed for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment